1. How might your digital footprint affect your future opportunities? Give at least two examples.
Your digital footprint can affect you in both positive and negative ways. You may find that it can affect your
- future job prospects
- image as seen to the public
Your digital footprint will always affect you in some way or another, especially in this day and age. If you have a positive digital footprint, you can find yourself opening up new opportunities you may not have had before. A negative digital footprint can impact you many years in the future, even if you think it won’t. For example, if you posted controversial opinions that people don’t agree on, this may affect your chances of entering your dream university. Having a good digital footprint is especially important to those in the public eye; mainly celebrities. They need to be careful of what they post online; they want to be seen in a good light.
2. Describe at least three strategies that you can use to keep your digital footprint appropriate and safe.
- Think before I post; make sure it will have a positive impact
- Keep track of all my accounts and make sure the websites I sign up for are trustworthy
- Know who I talk to/interact with on the web
- Make sure I know my privacy settings
3. If you could go back in time, is there anything that you would do differently online? Think of what advice you would pass on to your younger self or other students.
If I could talk to my younger self, I’d probably tell her that one account is better than three. I had a habit of making too many accounts, then forgetting the password for every one. I don’t really have any regrets in relating to social media and my digital footprint, I think that it’s pretty positive and clean. One thing that I kind of look back on and think I should have been more careful with is speaking to strangers on the internet. When I was little, I was less cautious and would frequently tell people my name and age. Thankfully, there were some kind people and they advised me not to do so.