While studying a Midsummer Night’s Dream in our English class we had to choose a scene from the play to present in front of the class. We chose our groups and our scenes than we had to decide what we wanted to do to the scene. We could either keep the scene the same as it was in the play but shorten it or you could change the story as long as you could figure out which character was which and it didn’t stray too far from the original plot. Our group decided to keep the story the same but cut out some characters to make it easier to act with 4 people. After that, we translated the script to modern English and shortened it. After everyone was done we presented them in front of the class.
2 – I tailor my work to appeal to my intended audience and use language and visual design elements appropriate for them
In our vignettes, we had to choose a scene from William Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream then translate it to modern-day English and shorten it to fit a 6-8 minute time frame. We could put any twists on it that we wanted but our group decided to stick to the original plot of the wedding. By having to translate the original play to the English that we use today we were tailoring our work to fit our audience by putting it in a language that was easier to understand.
5 – I enhance the impact of my research or presentation through the creative use of technology.
To add to the impact of our play we created a slideshow and use sound effects. While some other groups decided to avoid tech, we added it to make our play seem more realistic. Along with the slideshow we also decided to use props and costumes to take it to the next level. The slideshow served as our backdrop and this helped give further context to the scene. The sound effect helped us cut out unnecessary characters like the lion by just adding one roar.
4 – I constructively build upon or synthesize the ideas of my peers
Considering this was a group project a lot of our work was done by building off each other’s ideas. Since it was an older language, we all worked together to translate the script into modern-day English. After that, we had to work together to figure out how to cut down the script to meet the time requirements. To do this we had to figure out what was necessary to keep in the script to keep the storyline the same and what we could get rid of to shorten the time of the scene from about 15 minutes down to under 8.
Until next time!