What (topic): Architectural Drawings. This will include, basic concept drawings, plan drawings, different perspective renderings, and potentially some colour. Some of my objectives/goals include:
- By the end of the school year, I would like to have improved my realism through building design and renderings
- After each week I hope to have learned at least one new skill/element of design.
- After in-depth, I would like to have gained enough knowledge to begin applying my skills to real-life situations/problems.
Hopefully by the end of In-Depth I’ll have:
- showed clear improvement between the start of my in-depth project to the end of the project
- drawn renderings in a manner that allows others to understand the concepts without verbal/textual explanations
- used/explored multiple techniques and found my own style of rendering
- taken my design(s) beyond ‘textbook’ architecture
- Created/used colour palettes were unique and variant
Where: At home (via phone/video/email). I have a desk area perfect for some sketching, and noise cancelling headphones that will protect me from my brother’s video game commentary.
When (timeline): I will officially be starting my In-Depth project next week, until the conclusion of In-Depth in May. For the first half of my project I’d like to focus on sketching (general perspective drawings & renderings of pre-existing buildings) to gain some knowledge of common architecture styles and techniques. This will help me narrow down my focus even further to a specific style architecture. In the latter half, I’d like to use the knowledge and skills from the former to design a construct of my own (in a specific style determined beforehand), complete with all necessary plan drawings.
Why: I have, for a long while, considered a career in architecture. In-depth will provide an adequate baseline of skills that will help me determine if this is what I want to do later on. Even if I end up travelling down a different road, drawing will always be a passion of mine.
How: I will be mentored in Architecture by a retired architect through email, and phone/video calls. I also have an extensive list of online resources that I can refer to when my mentor isn’t available. Additionally, I have contact with another artist in the community who used to co-own an architecture firm that I can also learn from.
Mentor: Murray MacKinnon, architect of 40+ years (retired).
Method: Sketching with pencils on paper.
What I still need: In short, I don’t require any additional support for my In-Depth project this year, but I might need to get some geometrical rulers once i start drawing more complex constructs.